At our podcast studio you can make recordings yourself with easy-to-use equipment.
Please read all four guide blog posts before your first time using the podcast studio and reserve enough time at the start and at the end of your session so that you have enough time to set any configurations on the equipment and transfer the completed files to your computer.
The instructions on how to make a recording can also be found on the studio’s wall.
Guide to Mesta Podcast Studio:
1. Upon arrival
2. Initial configurations
3. To remember while recording
4. Transferring files
In this fourth part of the blog series you will get instructions on how to transfer our recording to your own device.
How to transfer your files
There is a memory card in our podcast mixer, on which your recording is saved. You don’t need your own memory card and your computer doesn’t have to be connected to the mixer during recording.
After you are finished with your recording, you’ll transfer the audio files to your own computer with a USB cable that is connected to the mixer. The mixer will appear on your computer as an external hard drive, from which you just copy all the files to your computer.
Usually a recording of 45-minutes is transferred in about ten minutes, but depending on your device, the transfer might take considerably longer. Do reserve some extra time for the file transfer when your are recording for the first time. It is also possible to transfer the files to your computer faster with a separate memory card reader, which you can find in a box labeled ”adapters” in the cabinet. If you use the memory card reader, remember to put the memory card back into the mixer and return the reader to the cabinet!
Step by step
- Connect your computer to the mixer with a USB cabel. If transferring through the USB cable is slow, you can also use a Transcend memory card reader, which can be found in a box labeled “adapterit”/”adapters” in the cabinet.
- Press the icon of a memory card n the touch screen of the mixer. Choose PODCAST TRANSFER MODE and then YES. Be careful not to choose formatting of the memory card (this will delete all its contents).
- The mixer appears on your computer as an external hard drive with the name RODECASTER. Copy all the files from the PODCASTS folder to your computer. Always save ALL the files in the folder to make sure you get all your material!
- When all files have been transferred, click DONE on the mixer’s touch screen and disconnect the USB cable from your machine.
- Check by listening that all your files have been saved on your computer.
- Format the memory card by selecting SLIDE TO FORMAT and YES on the mixer screen. Do the formatting only when you have checked and confirmed that all your files are saved on your computer!
Be careful when transferring the files! After the memory card has been formatted, we cannot recover any lost files. It is your own responsibilty to follow these instructions and save all the files on your computer.
- Be careful which buttons you press on the touch screen. For a transfer of files, you should choose PODCAST TRANSFER MODE. In the same window there is also the option FORMAT. Do not accidentally format the memory card before you have moved all the files to your computer!
- Always transfer all the files on the on the mixer to your computer, so that you don’t accidentally leave out important shorter audio clips. You can delete any unneeded files later. The mixer will cut longer recordings into 30 minute long clips, so there might be more files than you expected.
- Wait for all the files to transfer from the mixer before pressing the button DONE on the mixer. If you cut the connection too early, some of the files won’t be transferred.
- Check by listening each file that all files have been transferred and work as they should.
- Format the memory card of the mixer only when you are sure that all the files you need have been transferred on your device. It’s not possible to reccover any files after the formatting!
Editing files on your own computer
Your recording is saved as a polyWAV file, in which each speaker’s voice is on its own soundtrack. This way you can edit each speaker separately. There is also one stereo track on which all the audio tracks are combined. Please note that not all audio players can open a polyWAV file. We recommend downloading a program on your computer with which you can listen to the files and check that all the files were transferred to your computer. You can open and edit polyWAW files with for example Audition or Audacity.
When you leave the studio
- Turn off the mixer from the red button in the right corner on the backside of the mixer. Adjust the headphone volumes to zero. If you made changes to the mixer settings, change them back.
- Put all the studio equipment back in their places and check that you don’t accidentally take any cables or a memory card reader with you!
- If you used a third microphone and headphones, return them to the cabinet. Do not wrap the cord around the microphone!
- If you used a separate memory card reader, put the memory card back into the mixer and return the memory card reader to the cabinet.
- Turn off the studio lights and close the door properly.
- Put any used coffee cups in the dishwasher.
If you have any questions, you can contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do also have a look at the studio’s information and prices. You can make a reservation for our podcast studio conveniently and directly online in the reservation calendar.